Wednesday, January 11, 2012

sayings

More super cute sayings from my three year old:

"Don't you ever!  Don't you ever!"  This one has come out a couple of times this week.  First, it was to tell me not to ever leave him, even to go upstairs.  William was so serious, and it truly caught me off guard.  He did it again Monday when he fell asleep that afternoon around 4:30.  I tried to wake him up for his bath, and he again told me "Don't you ever."  He didn't finish that sentence, so I'm not sure what he was dreaming.

"Floating marshmallows"  Santa brought the family the movie Tangled for Christmas.  We had never seen it, so we sat down this week to watch it.  In one beautiful scene, there are hundreds of lanterns floating in the air.  William told me to look at all the marshmallows.  He was so excited, and he spoke in a breathy voice.  I told him they did look like marshmallows, but they were lanterns that work like hot air balloons.  He corrected me, pointing to the close lanterns and telling me they were the floating lanterns, but the ones in the distance, the ones not in focus, were marshmallows.  Yep, I could see it.

As his grasp of the English language improves, his cute, incorrect phrases are being corrected.  Most notable are his prayers.  For example, his bedtime prayer was recited as:

Now I lay me down for sleep ("for sleep" is gradually changing to "down to sleep")
I pray Thee Lord my __ to keep (not sure what he says here)
Thy love guard me through da night (th sounds are not so good)
And wake me with the norning light (yep, that's norning, not morning)

I am a little sad that the "for" is being corrected to "to."  It means he is growing up.

His blessing is recited as:

God is grace (instead of God is great)
God is good
Let us sank us for our food (sank means thank--trouble with the "th", and we thank us instead of Him)
By our hands we shall be fed (should be by His hands)
Give us Lord our daily bread
Amen

He also uses "shall" in his sentences.  I shall do this, or we shall do that.  It was just at this moment while writing about his blessing that I figured out where the "shall" is coming from. 
He is so adorable.  I love his quirks.

No comments: