Thursday, April 23, 2015

Take your child to work day

William came to school with me today for take your child to work day. He was excited and begged to teach my class. I told him he could help me, but we were doing 6th grade math. When we got to school, he was disappointed how quiet it was. He thought it was boring. I reminded him it was before school and everyone had yet to arrive. Once classes began, he had fun learning to play with my smart board. He had a blast drawing dots on the screen and making them bounce off the sides of the board. His problem solving brain was impressive when his dot bounced too high for him to reach. He drew a second dot and planned the trajectory to bounce the new dot into the old dot to knock it back down to his level. Unfortunately, drawn dots cannot bounce into other drawn dots--they pass through them. 

An unforeseen turn of events did in fact allow William to teach my class. I lost my voice! My cold finally left me with no sound. Even with his dot bouncing during my other classes, William had been listening. As I was trying to impart knowledge of outliers by whispering and pointing to definitions on the board, William hopped up, grabbed the pen for the smart board and circled the outlier on the dot plot. The class got the message and we were able to successfully complete the lesson. So proud!

No comments: