Friday, September 13, 2013

Bullying on the bus

As William was getting off the bus, I heard the bus driver fuss, and then I saw William try to hit someone.  I reprimanded him as he got off the bus, and by the time we got to our sidewalk, he was in tears.  William and Adelyn then filled Adelyn's mommy and me in on what took place today.  Normally there is another adult on the bus, but she was not there today.  They said an older boy started calling them names.  The first name was "Thomas" ( not horrible, right?), but he was calling them both Thomas even when they asked him to stop.  He then called Adelyn "Indian girl." As William was getting off the bus, the other boy tried to hit him with his book bag, so William tried to hit back.  There have not been any other issues before today, so I think the adult on the bus keeps things in control.  Apparently William and this other boy are seated right across the aisle from each other.  I emailed his teacher and she was forwarding the email to the principal. Later this afternoon, I was checking facebook and saw that one of William's friends also had an incident of a similar nature on the bus this afternoon. Turns out he is on the same bus, but it seems his trouble involved a different kid. Hmmm... More supervision is needed. Bring the lady back.

No comments: