Monday, September 9, 2013

Homework with William

Today we did William's first homework assignment. Oh, the trials of and laughter. 
This page worked on writing the numbers 1, 2, and 3. Beside each number, William was to draw the corresponding number of suns. For one sun, he tried to draw a moon beside it. We had to make the sun bigger to cover up the other sun. For two, he drew a big sun and little sun. While working on the big one, he said, "What if the sun exploded? It would always be night! It would always be Halloween!" (Cue the shocked face at the thought.) I thought it was telling that his suns are just round--no rays like typically drawn suns. (Hello space books!) Also, for other homework pages where he was supposed to color the right answers, pictures of things that begin with R, he also went back to X out the wrong answers. When he got to an octopus, he decided he shouldn't X it out because it was cute--he wanted to cut it out and keep it. I had to explain he couldn't cut out his homework.  When I asked him to color the rooster at the top of the page (rooster was the example), he said, "No thank you. Maybe later." He is determined to do things his way. I love his spirit, but I also understand he needs to follow directions. Conformity vs. creativity. The Mommy has an inner battle in me, too.

No comments: