Friday, March 5, 2010

Such a smart cookie!

Ok, I know I have a high opinion of my son--it's only right. Everyone should think highly of their children. But I have to say this kiddo has impressed me this past week. What kicked off this blog of accolades was tonight's bedtime ritual. As I was putting William's nighttime diaper and pajamas on him, I told him that tomorrow is Saturday. I asked if he knew why Saturday is special--it is because Daddy gets to stay home and because we go over to Jake and MeMa's house to play with Samuel and Gabriel. That little stinker then started repeating the word "Saturday!" And he said it well! Then it turned into a "Saturday, yippee!" I know I have always loved Saturday, but to hear my 21-month old cheering for it by name was "awesome!" (another word he has learned to say.)

Daddy's car finally had it, so even though the timing is not great, we had to buy a new car. Well, new used, but it was an awesome deal. We got an 07 Accord with only 7,000 miles on it. While it is missing some of the perks my Malibu has--automatic locking doors, the ones that lock when the car is put into gear, headlights that turn on automatically, and the scrolling name of the songs playing on the radio--it is five years newer with 100,000+ less miles on it. (Daddy gets to drive Mommy's Malibu now.) What is does have is working speakers in the back seat. We have been listening to William's Sunday school songs CD that he got for Christmas. Suddenly this week, I heard him singing along to "This Little Light of Mine" as he is bopping away in his seat. (He can hear it better with working speakers?) This tiny little voice was actually singing "Let it shine!" And of course, humorously, he sings the "No!" really well during the verse "Hide it under a bushel--NO!" His little cherub voice makes my heart smile.

With the car shopping, William also got to impress a few of the salespeople--especially at the Honda dealership. They have a circular counter at the entrance of the store with "WELCOME" affixed to it in big silver letters. While Daddy was handling the business part of the deal, Mommy followed William around the showroom, and he started spouting off the letters. At first it was E, C, O, and mmmm (make the sound here). By the end of the stay at the dealership, with a trip added to pick up the registration and tags, William was able to go through the entire word: W, E, L, C, O, M, E.

Can you tell Mommy is proud?

No comments: