Wednesday, September 1, 2010

First Day of School!

William went to school for the first time today! Mommy set the alarm clock last night to wake up at 6:30. It is amazing how knowing the alarm is going to go off at some point disrupts a night's sleep for hours. (I think the first look at the clock was 2:00 a.m.) After Mommy got ready, she woke William at 7:00. He was still sleepy. With Daddy's help, we were able to get William dressed with a cup of milk in him before heading around the corner to school at 7:30.

He was excited to see his classroom, and he happily looked around with Daddy while Mommy talked to the school director. It was when we went across the hall to find William's teacher that he began to cry. Daddy thought it was because he left his own room for the smaller child room. Mommy thought it was because we went to find his teacher and he began to get worried we would leave. His teacher, Miss Sam, walked us back across the hall to his room, and we pointed out his name on the birthday calendar, the bulletin board, and his cubby. When his teacher took him from us and told him to give Mommy a kiss, he really started crying. Daddy and I left while she took William to the window to wave good-bye. That's when Mommy's eyes teared up.

Mommy and Daddy ran some errands and wanted to call school to see how William was doing, but we had not yet saved the number in our cell phones. We called at 10:30 when we got home. His class was outside playing, but his teacher came to the phone and said he had cried for maybe 10 minutes after we left and then he was fine.

When I went to get him at 3:30, I had to get his attention. He was happily running around the room. He smiled and jumped into my arms and pointed out the toys. Then he told me "sleep in bed" because he took his nap on a cot. The note from his teacher said he had an "awesome first day" with no crying. She wrote that it was as if he had been at the school for months. He enjoyed exploring his new classroom. He colored a picture of an apple, and his note said he was very hungry at lunch. William told me that he ate apples for lunch (which we figured he would), but we aren't sure if he tried the ham and cheese on a toasted bagel. I will ask tomorrow morning when I drop him off.

Daddy and I are relieved that his first day went so well! Mommy's stomach was still upset, but I feel a lot better about the whole situation. Now to see how tomorrow morning goes!

No comments: