Sunday, July 29, 2012

Good-bye, Mema

We got back home to NJ Friday night, June 29, only to have a freak storm called a dericho hit around 1:00 a.m. on the 30th.  The boys slept through the storm--and I think Daddy did, too--but I woke to the thunder and lightening and the wind.  Afraid something would be blown over, I went downstairs and put the potted plants on the porch on the floor and put my angel on the ground so they wouldn't break.  Our property and trees were spared.  We had tufts of leaves in our yard, but I had not idea of the destruction until we drove around the next morning to find food and cool air as we had no power.  It was then we saw the devastation of the region.

Sunday, we still had no power and no water since we have a well.  We went to Mema and Jake's house.  They didn't have power either, but they have city water and a gas water heater, so we could get showers and the boys could play in the kiddie pool in the front yard.  Mema was sick.  We thought she had a virus, and she wasn't feeling well.  We talked to her a little bit on the front porch, but we did not know it was the last time the boys and I would see her.

Mema got really sick really fast and passed away that Friday, July 6.  While the adults were in pain and shock, William's thoughts helped us a bit.

July 6--"William asked me tonight, "We miss Mema?" I said , "Yes, we all miss Mema very much. She has gone to live with Jesus." He said, "Jesus made her better?" I said, "Yes, she is all better and happy in a wonderful place." He said, "She is in our hearts.""

July 8--While driving home tonight, William asked me if little kids go to Heaven. I said sometimes. He said he wants to go to Heaven, but that's not the rule. I asked what rule. He said, "Daddy said I can't go to Heaven, and that makes me sad." Then he broke down crying. "I want to go see Mema." I explained it wasn't his time to go to Heaven because when you go, you can't come back. (This is actually the rule Daddy had told him.) I told him he has more to do before he goes. He needs to get bigger, and one day he will be a Daddy. He can't go to Heaven before that. I explained I want to go to Heaven, too, but I don't want to go yet, because I want to see him and Charles grow up to be Daddies.

Mema gave William and Charles the book Heaven is for Real, for Kids at the beginning of June.  Who would ever know we would need to use it to help us so soon.  At the beginning of the book, it says, "Did you know that heaven is just like the Bible says?  It is wonderful, and it is for real!"  I read the book to William and Charles one night and when I read this part, William asnwered, "I know," in such a tone like you don't have to tell me that, Mom.  Of course it is wonderful and real.  William knows Mema is all better and living with Jesus.  He doesn't have the anger or the questions of adults.  His pure, childlike faith that Jesus wants from all of us is such a blessing and a comfort to me.  He is my guide right now.


No comments: