Saturday, June 11, 2011

Dance party!

Last night Daddy had to umpire a softball game, so William and Mommy had the evening to ourselves.  After a final full week of school combined with scorching heat, pregnancy heat, and William with a new three-year-old temperment, Mommy decided to take one of her students up on her invitation to come to the 8th grade dance at school. 

Mommy told William they were going to a big kid party to which William responded, "I am a big kid; I am a big brother."  We got there, and William was excited.  This dance always has a tropical theme.  A lifeguard seat had been borrowed for the dance, and William had to climb up in it, at one point holding court wth about six girls while he volleyed balloons at them.  He loved the air-blown, lit up coconut tree and tiki totem.

He managed to snag himself a piece of pizza, and then instead of eating behind the table with the chaperones, he wanted to sit at one of the regular tables in the middle of the action.  He picked a yellow tableclothed table (which had no students--I didn't want to eavesdrop), and sat eating his pizza until he spotted a bowl of chips on the table.  I told him he had to eat more pizza first.  He took another bite.  He asked for more chips.  I told him he needed to eat half of his pizza and pointed to where he needed to eat up to.  He turned the pizza sideways and took a bite at the spot I had pointed to.  Now more chips?  Yeah, no bud.  Finally he ate enough to satisfy me.

After running around for about an hour and a half, jumping over wires like he was hurdling, and looking at the party decorations and the murals on the school cafeteria walls, plus two trips to the potty, I decided it was time to go. I managed to get William to the front door of the school when he stopped and said, "It's the song!"  They were playing Miley Cyrus' "Party in the USA" so he ran all the way back into the dance room and put his hands in the air just like the song says.  After that he got invitations to dance from two girls, but he declined, so we left again.

A block from the school, William suddenly said, "I didn't get cake.  You didn't give me cake."  Oops!  I forgot all about the cake I had shown him at the beginning of the party with the Brigantine Buccaneer on it.  I quickly distracted him with the reminder of seeing the tall buildings with lights as we passed Atlantic City.  He was happy with that.

No comments: